12.08.2012

Violets of March

Violets of March by Sarah Jio was one of those books I stumbled upon based on my family's suggestions. I'm not sure if I mentioned before, but I come from a family of readers. My mom, aunts, cousins, sister & even grandma all read on a daily basis. It's almost as if we have our own little (unofficial) book club going on. And let me just say, they all have especially good taste in books! 
Violets of March @ Amazon.com
A hearbroken woman stumbled upon a diary and steps into the life of it's anonymous author.
In her twenties, Emily Wilson was on top of the world: she had a bestselling novel, a husband plucked from the pages of GQ, and a one-way ticket to happily ever after.

Ten years later, the tide has turned on Emily's good fortune. So when her great-aunt Bee invites her to spend the month of March on Bainbridge Island in Washington State, Emily accepts, longing to be healed by the sea. Researching her next book, Emily discovers a red velvet diary, dated 1943, whose contents reveal startling connections to her own life. 
I couldn't believe how easy it was to get lost in this book.. that's how good it is! Violets of March is a love story within a mystery & every character that's introduced adds so much to the story. I have to say, my favorite character is Aunt Bee - a fun, down-to-earth older lady who holds the biggest secret of all. Bainbridge Island is also a character in itself and Sarah Jio does such a great job making the reader feel like they've visited the island long before they picked up the book. I'm pretty sure this is one of my favorite books I read this year & would definitely add it to my top ten books of all time!

1 comment: